Frequently Asked Questions
Who Can Attend?
How Do I Register to Attend?
- The Summer Technology Institute is designed for Duplin County certified teachers. Only certified teachers will receive a stipend for attendance. However, we encourage any DCS personnel to attend if they would like. If you are NOT a certified teacher, and you are interested in attending, please click here to complete the registration process.
- To register to attend, please visit the Duplin County Schools Webpage. Make sure to Sign In in the top right corner with your Username and Password. (If you have forgotten your password, select the Forgot Password button and your password will be emailed to your DCS email account.) Then select the Professional Development Calendar under the Professional Development tab. Find the session that you would like to attend and select the register button. Then complete the required information.
- No, you do not need a prior approval to attend a session(s). Just complete the online registration for the session(s) you would like to attend.
When Will I Receive My Stipend?
What if I can not attend all sessions?
- For each session that you register and attend, you will receive a stipend of $37.50. This stipend will be sent out in a check June 16th. However, if you fail to attend the sessions in which you registered, you will be held responsible for the reimbursement of the stipend to Duplin County Schools. Reimbursement will be deducted from your August pay check. Therefore, please make sure you take care in registering for a session or sessions that you know you will be able to attend.
What if the Session I Want to Attend is Full?
- You may attend as many or as few session as you would like. For each session that you register to attend, you will receive a stipend of $37.50 and 0.3 CEUs of technology credit. However, if you fail to attend a session in which you have registered, you will be responsible for
What Do I Need to Bring to the Sessions?
- Slots are limited for each session, so you want to make sure you do not wait to register. However, if the session you would like to attend is full, please make sure you sign up for the waiting list. By doing so, we may be able to open up the session to more participants or if someone cancels their registration, you would be notified.
How Should I Plan for Lunch?
- For all sessions, you will need to bring your MacBook Air. However, some sessions have special requirements listed in the Course Offering Guide, so please make sure you review the requirements before attending. (If you are classified staff and do not have access to a MacBook Air, a device will be provided for your use during the sessions in which you are registered.)
- If you are planning to attend all day, we will have a lunch break from 11:30 am to 1:00 pm. Lunch will be on your own, and we encourage you to use this time to connect with your peers and reflect on your morning sessions. Below are a few options in the area:
How Can I Cancel My Registration for a Session?
- Pizza Village
- El Camino Real
- Rhodes Grill
- Napoli's Pizzeria
- Duff's Cafe
- Country Smoke House
- Ann's Thai Kitchen
- Hwy 55
Who Should I Contact if I Have Additional Questions?
- If you have registered for a session and need to cancel your registration, please sign in to the DCS website and visit the DCS Professional Development Calendar. Find and select the event in which you wish to cancel. Then at the bottom of the page, select Cancel Registration. An email confirmation of the cancellation will be emailed to your DCS email account.