• Are you concerned about your child's speech and/or language skills?
    I can observe your child informally, and give you some idea about how your child is performing compared with peers the same age.  If a referral is warranted, I can assist you with this process.  I may be able to give you some suggestions of things you can do at home to help your child with his or her speech-language weaknesses.

    In order for children to receive SI (Speech-Language Impaired) services through Duplin County Schools, a referral is made to either the MTSS Team (Multi-Tiered System of Support) or the Exceptional Children's Department.  The referral can be made by a parent/guardian, teacher, or other professional involved with the child.  The MTSS team works together to help the classroom teacher develop strategies to improve the child's speech-language performance.  If adequate progress is not observed within a set period of time, and if the team feels the child's speech-language needs are impeding his or her academic progress, a speech-language evaluation will be conducted at the end of the intervention period.  The results of this evaluation will be used to determine if a child is eligible for school speech-language services.  If eligible for therapy, the frequency of services will be determined based on need, and usually ranges from four to fourteen times per reporting period.

    Please keep in mind that school systems use different criteria for eligibility than private practices.  If a child has a speech-language difference that does not appear to impact the child academically or socially, that student may not be eligible for speech therapy services at school.  When selecting the frequency of services for eligible children, the IEP team strives to allow the child to have maximum time in his or her regular education setting.  Progress notes are sent home at the time of each report card distribution.