Medications at School

  • Medication Administration at School

    Please make every effort to give your child medication at home. School staff may administer medication- prescription and over-the-counter, only upon receiving the authorization to administer medication form completed by the healthcare provider and signed by the provider and parent/legal guardian.

    Link to medication form:

    Provisions are also available for students to self-administer emergency and/or rescue medication, per medical provider approval. Medications classified as narcotic, stimulant, or controlled substance may not be self-administered or carried at school by any student at any grade level. Medications for ADD/ADHD that are classified as a controlled substance must be kept, stored, and given to your child only by school personnel trained by the school nurse. Self-administration of some over-the-counter medication may be allowed and must include written parental/legal guardian permission. Please contact the school nurse for more information and forms.

    Medication administration forms are valid for one academic school year. For medications needed to be administered at school, please provide an updated medication form to the school nurse at the beginning of each academic school year and any time there is a change in the dosage, administration time, route, and/or type of medication. The parent/legal guardian is responsible for bringing the medication to the school and for picking-up unused medication. Unclaimed medication will be properly disposed, according to the medication administration procedure.


Last Modified on July 13, 2017