First Day of School
Monday, August 17, 2020
Communication with Principals:
Principals are asked to communicate with families what should occur on the first day of school. Please share the following guidance with teachers, students and parents as applicable to each stakeholder group.
Initial Enrollment Status (Attendance)
- Homeroom teachers will contact parents/students on August 17th to verify initial enrollment for the 2020-21 school year.
- Pre-K - Grade 8 homeroom teachers will be calling parents and high school homeroom teachers will contact their students through their DCS email address to verify enrollment.
- It is very important that parents or students respond to the message to ensure that the student receives their initial enrollment status for the 2020-21 school year.
Students From All Grade Levels (Instruction)
Grades 3-12 STEP 1 Chromebooks:
- Students with Chromebooks: Follow steps 1-8 for the Chromebook Wifi login and Content Filter instruction sheet. Number 7 and 8 must be completed specifically.
- Check Duplin County Schools’ student email account in the morning. You should have a welcome message from your teacher(s) with instructions.
Google Classroom (K-5):
- In your email, there should be an invitation to join your teachers’ Google Classroom. Select the join button. Once you have joined, you should find more details about the class activities for each day.
- Log into NCEdCloud and access the red Canvas.
- Open each class in Canvas and read announcements from your teacher.
- Read the schedule for the week for each class.
- Complete any assignments by the due date provided by your teacher for each class.
Offline Learning (K-12 Students Without Internet Access):
- If you are unable to access your Duplin County Schools student email account or your class in Google Classroom or Canvas, your teacher(s) will call you with instructions.
- If your course is in Canvas, your teacher will talk with you about how to download the Canvas content for offline use once you are able to access a hotspot.
- If you are unable to access instruction online, utilize the instructional materials that have been and will be provided by your teachers.