What is Project Child Find?
An effort coordinated by your local school system in accordance with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) to:
• Locate and identify children and youth ages birth through 21 with disabilities who are in need of special education and related services. • Inform parents and/or guardians of the services available from their local school system and other state and community agencies.
Who Are the Children?
Children and youth who have been diagnosed or are suspected to have intellectual, physical, or emotional disabilities and are unable to benefit from a regular school program without special assistance.
What Help is Available?
• A complete evaluation and, if appropriate,
• An Individualized Education Program for children with a disability beginning at age three,
• An Individual Family Service Plan for each child with a disability birth through 2, or
• A referral to other agencies when needed
If you suspect that your child has a disability, please contact Susan Smith, Assistant Director for EC Services, at (910) 296-6606 for additional information.