2022/2023 East Duplin Beta Club -
- MESSAGE FROM GINGER WITH PARKS AND REC:
11/10 Message from Pet Friends of Duplin: East Duplin Betas, Thank you all for coming out yesterday and helping. You were a lifesaver!
Special thanks to Sheldon, Christi, Marley, Haley Carter, Skyler, Maddox, Macaelyn, Savannah, Mrs. Bowles, and Mrs. Gutierrez.
Volunteers are still needed this Saturday from 1-3. If you can volunteer see Mrs. Bowles today.
11/10- Only students who have paid their Beta Club fees will be allowed in the Beta Club meeting today. See Mrs. Bowles before the first period club meeting if you have your money today. Teachers- There is a Beta Club list in your mailboxes. Mrs. Bowles will send updates as needed.
- Beta Dues extended deadline: Nov. 10
- NOVEMBER 2= FALL/CHRISTAMAS CRAFT IN MRS BOWLES ROOM AFTER SCHOOL UNTIL 4:15
- BETA FOUNDERS DAY- FRIDAY, OCTOBER 28- Wear Beta T-shirts
- SOCKTOBER EVENT: COLLECT SOCKS FOR THE NEEDY FROM OCT. 24-OCT. 29 DROP OFF IS IN THE MAIN LOBBY
- State Convention Parent meeting on Sunday October, 23 in EDHS Library at 2:30
- State Beta Convention REMIND--if you are going to the convention please sign up
- October 21 Volunteer for our PINK OUT BOOTH at the home football game. We will be selling baked goods and giving away Breast Cancer Awareness buttons
BETA’S, DON’T FORGET TO PAY YOUR CLUB FEES BY OCT. 15. $32.00
Beta’s and any other clubs who need volunteer hours--- -we will be volunteering at the Hog Wild BBQ Cook-off on Saturday, Oct. 8- There will be three different times students can sign up, so see Mrs. Bowles or Mrs. Gutierrez this week to sign up.
Anyone who needs volunteer hours can stay after school with the Beta Club this Thursday, September 30th, for campus projects. The pick up time will be 5:00. Meet in Mrs. Bowles' room after school.
- VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR OUR EDHS CONCESSION STANDS- STUDENTS SHOULD CONTACT SONYA MILLER AT 1-252-560-5169 IF INTERESTED
- Join our Beta REMIND so you can stay informed: @2223edhs
Please turn in Beta Dues as soon as you can.
- If you did not receive a Beta Calender for volunteer events and Beta activities, stop by Mrs. Gutierrez office.
- I have gone through the schedule and the following dates are available for VOLUNTEER HOURS:
- CONCESSION STAND AT BEULAVILLE ELEMENTARY FOR GAMES
Saturday, September 17, 2022 -8 am-2pm
Saturday, September 24, 2022-8 am-2pm
Saturday, October 22, 2022- 9 am- 1 pm
Saturday, November 05, 2022- 8 am-12 noon
These hours can be worked in half day or whole. I always work a schedule out with students depending on their rides or other schedules. All games are at Beulaville Elementary school. CONTACT # IS GINGER JENKINS 910-714-8016
- CONCESSION STAND AT BEULAVILLE ELEMENTARY FOR GAMES
- CLUB DAY = FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 9. IMPORTANT ACADEMIC/VOLUNTEER/CONVENTION INFORMATION WILL BE GIVEN OUT AT THIS MEETING. SEE MRS. BOWLES IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO ATTEND THIS MEETING.
- Mission Statement:
- To promote the ideals of academic achievement, character, service, and leadership among secondary school students.
- Achievement: Recognizing and honoring high academic achievement
- Character: Preparing young people for life and empowering them to be successful
- Leadership: Developing the leaders of tomorrow
- Service: Demonstrating our motto- LET US LEAD BY SERVING OTHERS
- WELCOME TO THE 2022/2023 SCHOOL YEAR!
- BETA CLUB information is in the EDHS handbook on page 11.
- New to Beta??? If you would like to join the Beta Club and you meet the requirements stated in the handbook, please bring your last report card or a picture of your last report card to Mrs. Bowles or Mrs. Gutierrez.
- We will post volunteer opportunities on this page as well as announce them during morning announcements.
- Students must keep their own log of volunteer hours. We will discuss this in depth at our first club meeting.
- BETA DUES: $32.00. I am sorry for this price, but the State and National Beta have increased their membership fees. (there was a misprint in the EDHS handbook about this). This money should be turned in to Mrs. Bowles as soon as possible in order for you to be registered with the National Beta Membership.
- Students who are interested in joining the Beta Club should stop by Mrs. Kim Bowles room (room 90) or Mrs. Jena Gutierrez office in Student Services to pick up a Beta form to fill out.
- WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO A GREAT YEAR! THIS YEARS BETA THEME IS: "POWER TO BETA"
- Below this line is some of the information from last year's Beta Club. THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS 2022/2023 CLUB INFORMATION.
National Convention Meeting for parents and students attending
Wednesday, February 16, 2022. 6:00pm
In the East Duplin Library- Enter through the main school front doors.
Parent/student Beta Meeting for students who may be or are for sure planning on attending the National Beta Convention in Nashville, TN on July 1-4.
- Amy Kennedy at Beulaville Elementary is looking for Betas who are willing to volunteer to work the door/sell tickets at Beulaville Rec League Basketball games for the next month or so. If you are interested, please email her at email@example.com
- Students may also volunteer at the EDHS HOME Basketball games in the concession stand to help out and earn some volunteer hours. If you would like to do this contact Sonya Miller at 1-252-560-5169. --call or text her to set up times. All basketball games can be found on the schools sports website. Or message Sonya to find out details of times.
STATE BETA CLUB CONVENTION IN GREENSBORO
FRIDAY, JANUARY 28, 2022 - SATURDAY, JANUARY 29, 2022
I will travel to Greensboro on that Thursday afternoon. In the past we have all gone down the night before so we could get some practice time on stage. This would also ensure that props and people are there for morning practice/competitions on time. This will allow time to practice prior to getting on stage.
I also need to know ASAP what Beta students will not have a chaperone so I can plan rooms accordingly. If your child plans to attend the State Convention and needs me to be the “Mama Bowles” chaperone, please let me know. 910-290-1839 firstname.lastname@example.org
Parents can make their own reservations at the hotel of their choice-
Drury Inn and Suites right across the street from the Koury Convention Center
Drury Inn has a free hot breakfast.
Drury Inn and Suites 3220 W Gate City Blvd. Greensboro, NC 27407
I found out last week that I have to be the one to block the rooms in order for our parents to get the BETA Discount. Please let me know if you need a room at the Convention Center.
Here is information about lodging for Sheraton Convention Center (total including tax= 186.00 per night)
The address to the Convention Center is belowSheraton Greensboro Hotel/ Joseph S. Koury Convention Center
- 3121 West Gate City Boulevard Greensboro, NC 27407
- Main phone: 336-292-9161
- NOV. 17- By now Beta members should be signed up for any competitions they want to participate in for the State Beta Club Convention. All academic competitions will be taken virtually here at EDHS instead of in Greensboro. If you have not signed up for a competition and would like to participate see Mrs. Bowles ASAP and we may be able to get you signed up. THERE IS A 25.00 CONVENTION FEE THAT MRS. BOWLES HAS TO SEND IN FOR ANYONE PARTICIPATING IN THE CONVENTION( VIRTUALLY OR IN PERSON) SO START BRINGING THAT MONEY.
- Betas- All Beta Calendar money should be turned in by Friday, Nov. 19 in Mrs. Bowles room. If you received a calendar, you should turn in the calendar and the money. See Mrs. Bowles if you have any questions.
- BETAS- There will be a Parent meeting this Thursday, Nov. 18 at 6:30pm in the Fine Arts Building for anyone planning on attending the State Convention in January. See Mrs. Bowles with questions.
- Wednesday Nov. 17- Beta Show Choir Practice after school in Fine Arts Building
- BLOOD DRIVE VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY. BEULAVILLE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. 11/16
- BLOOD DRIVE TOWN HALL -- 12/14
- $20.00 Membership dues are due by Oct. 22 for the 2021/2022 school year.
- We have had a large group meeting in the Fine Arts Building already this year. If you missed this meeting, see Mrs. Bowles for information missed.
- The State Convention information was given out and students signed up for competitions. You can still sign up for convention competitions- deadline for signing up is Wednesday, Nov.3. See Mrs. Bowles
- CONGRATULATIONS BETAS!
- Mr. EDHS Landon Heath Miss EDHS Cora Haste
- Congratulations to our Betas who represented EDHS on the Homecoming Court! EVERY REPRSENTATIVE FOR MR. AND MISS EDHS WAS A BETA! We are so PROUD of you all!
- Payton Kennedy
- Emma Whaley
- Brayden Houston
- Cora Haste
- Landon Heath
- Gaby Herrera
- Alex West
- Laura Bostic
- 2021/2022 Beta Club--- Listen to the morning announcements for any Beta Information. Below you will find volunteer opportunities. Please sign up with Mrs. Bowles as soon as you can for the dated events.
- More Beta information will be sent out on this webpage so please listen to announcements and keep checking this site. Mr. Ballard is working to find a BETA sponsor. Until then, Mrs. Bowles is filling in and trying to get the BETA year started so we start this year off right.
- This years theme is "BETA TOGETHER" so be thinking of creative ways to serve our school and community with this theme in mind.
CONGRATULATIONS TO MATTHEW MOBLEY FOR PLACING 2ND IN THE NATION AT THE NATIONAL BETA CONVENTION THIS SUMMER! HE COMPETED IN THE SOCIAL STUDIES COMPETITION. WAY TO GO MATTHEW!
- Volunteer Opportunities for the 2021/2022 School Year
East Duplin Christian Outreach
Weekly flexible hours 910-290-4401
320 Park Street Beulaville, NC 28518
Flexible hours 910-298-5877
235 NC-41 Beulaville, NC 28518
You can call the above two places and arrange to volunteer anytime that fits into your schedule
Blood Drives - 1:00pm- 7:00pm
GBR Blood drive at Town Hall 8/24,12/14
Beulaville Presbyterian Blood Drive 9/14, 11/16
Hogwild BBQ Cook-Off 10/8, 10/9
Beulaville Parade 12/11/21
- Senior Betas- Mrs. Bowles has a few Senior Beta Cords in her room if you need them. You need to be sure you paid your Beta fees for this year to be recognized.
- The Beta Club will be helping with the Saturday, May 8 Beulaville Beautification Project. It will be from 8:30-11:30. If you are a member of another club or the Health Science Academy and would also like to participate you can. Anyone interested should sign up with Mrs. Bowles.
Trash roadside pick up has been postponed.
If you are ordering Senior Beta Cords our Club ID is SNC0299
- 4/13/2021 Senior Beta Club Members- Mrs. Bowles has about 10 Beta graduation cords in her room. If you are interested in purchasing Beta Cords stop by her room. They are $15.00
- 4/13/2021 ATTENTION: Anyone needing volunteer hours for Beta or any other club- Here are a few volunteer opportunities:
Autumn Village is in need of help with yard work and painting-they will work with your schedule.
The Beulaville Beautification Committee needs volunteers to help on Saturday, May 8. This Spring Clean Up event will consist of doing yard work and cleaning up around Beulaville
You can sign up for these volunteer opportunities in Mrs. Bowles room or Mrs. Amy Daniels room.
BETA CLUB SENIORS-
GO TO BETACLUB.ORG IF YOU WANT TO ORDER YOUR BETA CORDS FOR THE GRADUATION CEREMONY. ONCE YOU GET ON THE BETA WEBSITE, GO TO THE BETA SHOP AND CLICK ON THE GRADUATION BOX AND YOU WILL SEE "HONOR CORDS WITH EMBLEM" ORDERING BETA CORDS IS TOTALLY UP TO YOU. IT IS NOT MANDATORY. -order the black and yellow cords
The Booster Club is in search of concession stand help. GREAT SERVICE PROJECT AND YOU GET TO GO TO THE FOOTBALL GAMES:)
We need 4 students for each game to work alongside booster members. PLEASE CONTACT KIM BOWLES IF YOU ARE INTERESTED.
MARCH SERVICE PROJECTS-
#1 AUTUMN VILLAGE IS IN NEED OF VOLUNTEERS TO HELP WITH SOME YARD WORK AND THE CLEANING OUT OF A CLOSET
IF YOU WANT TO GO HELP PLEASE LET MRS. BOWLES KNOW OR JUST CALL AUTUMN VILLAGE AND ARRANGE A DAY YOU CAN GO HELP.
AUTUMN VILLAGE PHONE = 910-298-5877 THEY WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP YOU COULD GIVE.
YOU DEFINITELY COULD GO IN A GROUP OR WITH ANOTHER PERSON TO VOLUNTEER.
#2 WE WILL BE MAKING EASTER BUNNIES OUT OF WOOD TO BE PLACED IN VARIOUS NURSING HOMES AND DOCTOR'S OFFICES AROUND TOWN.
WE WILL MAKE BUNNIES AFTER SCHOOL TUESDAY MARCH 23RD IN MRS. BOWLES ROOM. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HELP PLEASE EMAIL MRS. BOWLES.
APRIL SERVICE PROJECTS-
ROADSIDE TRASH PICK UP - DATE. APRIL 22 3:30. MEET AT BOJANGLES---post poned to another date in May.
EDHS PROJECT -- ORGANIZE AND CLEAN OUT BETA ROOM. -DATE TBD
FEBRUARY SERVICE PROJECT-
The mission of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is to advance cures, and means of prevention, for pediatric catastrophic diseases through research and treatment. Consistent with the vision of their founder Danny Thomas, no child is denied treatment based on race, religion or a family's ability to pay.
WE CAN HELP BY SENDING VALENTINE'S DAY CARDS TO THE SICK CHILDREN THAT ARE IN THAT HOSPITAL :)
Go to the stjude.org website and create a Valentine's Day Card for a child that is in the hospital.
When you get to their main webpage, scroll down and look for the box that says "Send Our Kids A Valentine" and click.
Special thank you to the 20 Beta Club Students that participated in the Virtual Beta Club State Convention.
Landon Heath is running for State Vice President and needs your vote. Please vote for Landon when the voting poles open. I will post the website up here when voting opens.
CORA HASTE- PARTICIPATED IN THE SOLO, DUO, TRIO COMPETITION
EMMA WHALEY, LAURA BOSTIC, WRENN HASTE, ASHTON WEST, AND JAEYDEN PREBE PARTICIPATED IN THE CAMPAIGN SKIT
LANDON HEATH IS RUNNING FOR THE STATE VICE-PRESIDENT
CONGRATULATIONS! CONGRATULATIONS! CONGRATULATIONS!
ETHAN BOSTIC- 2020/2021 EDHS BETA CLUB PRESIDENT
PAYTON KENNEDY-2020/2021 EDHS BETA CLUB VICE-PRESIDENT
ALL INFORMATION REGARDING THE EDHS BETA CLUB WILL BE POSTED ON THIS SITE.
SCROLL ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE FOR UPDATED BETA INFORMATION
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN TO LOCATE THE VOLUNTEER CALENDAR OF EVENTS.
OUR MISSION: To promote the ideals of academic achievement, character, service and leadership among secondary school students
Advisors: Kim Bowles & Jena Gutierrez
Achievement- Recognizing and honoring high academic achievement
Character- Preparing young people for life and empowering them to be successful
Leadership- Developing the leaders of tomorrow
Service- Demonstrating our motto: LET US LEAD BY SERVING OTHERS
“Let Us Lead By Serving Others”
Memo to: All EDHS Students interested in 2020/2021 Beta Club membership
From: Kim Bowles, Ranessa Kennedy, and Jena Gutierrez- EDHS Sponsors
We are excited to start a new Beta Club year with each of you. It will look a bit different this year but we are not going to let a pandemic stop this amazing club from Leading and Serving others.
Below are some important facts for EDHS Beta.
- If you are an incoming freshman and were a member of the Junior Beta Club in middle school you are immediately eligible to join the Senior Beta Club.
- If you were not a member of the Junior Beta Club but you meet the requirements, please show the EDHS sponsors your most recent report card to verify eligibility. If you are interested in Beta and are 100% Remote please email Ranessa Kennedy. Requirements for membership are posted below.
- Membership fee is $20.00 This is for ALL Betas.
- We have a Beta Facebook page set up and also a REMIND app. Please join so you can be informed. Be sure to listen to the morning announcements for info OR check online for EDHS announcements.
- Beta Motto: “Let Us Lead By Serving Others”
The 2020/2021 State Convention theme is: “It All Began With Beta”. Cost will be $20.00 for all that participate in the Virtual State Convention
YOUR STATE CONVENTION
WILL BE HELD VIRTUALLY!
Registration is Now Open
Due to health and safety concerns, the North Carolina Senior State Convention will be held virtually. Virtual State Convention offers your Betas every opportunity to compete in over 30 competitions for a chance to qualify for National Convention in Orlando, FL.
Details regarding your convention can be found in your State Convention
Handbook and Schedule. Please pay special attention to the Virtual Appendix found in the back of your handbook.
The registration deadline is January 8, 2021.
Registered attendees will have the opportunity to submit their competition materials and take their tests, January 13 - 27.
*Academics: Test access will be linked to the registered student’s Beta Membership ID number. Changes may not be made after the finalization of registration.
6. Requirements for EDHS Beta Club membership:
Students of good character with at least a 2.63 GPA (85 overall average); no grade below a C; 95% attendance; no administrative offenses (9th grade-present)
All reviewed by sponsors and EDHS administration
7. You can participate in Beta Club without going to the Convention. What do we do?
Volunteer where needed, Participate in service projects, Help military troops, Help in our school and community, Compete in State and National competitions, Attend leadership conferences
8. Our school Club site is where we will post updated information. Pictures and other service project announcements will be sent through the Remind app.
9.We are a service and leadership club so there will be lots of service and leadership opportunities available throughout the year. A calander will be posted on this site soon.
10. To join the new Beta REMIND APP = SEND A TEXT TO 81010
TEXT THIS MESSAGE: @edhsbeta
11. How to Pay for dues? We will be posting our Venmo account information so you can send money via Venmo or mail it in. More information coming soon about this.
Click here for the NC Beta Club page
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN BECOMING AN EDHS BETA CLUB OFFICER PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING:
The officers of the East Duplin Senior Beta club will be President, Vice-President, Secretary, Reporter, and Historian.
The duties of the President will be to preside at the meetings, appoint the committees of the club, represent the organization when necessary, and to administer the policies as laid down in the constitution and by-laws.
The duties of the Vice President will be to preside at meetings when the president is absent or incapacitated to perform the duties of the office, and to assist in administering the affairs of the club, such as serving on committees.
The duties of the Secretary will be to keep the records of membership, record the minutes of the meetings, and to carry on the necessary club correspondence.
The duties of the Reporter will be to maintain the club’s website, update social media and inform the school and community of what is happening in the club.
The duties of the Historian will be to update the calendar, create a digital or physical album of all Beta Club activities and manage the submission of member’s service hours.
The President and Vice-President should be an 11th or 12th grader. The other club officers can be in the 9th,10th,11th or 12th grade.
Each person wishing to run for an officer position should create a two minute or less video explaining why they want to be that officer. In this video you should explain how and why you feel you would be the right person for the position. Tell how much time you could devote to the club and why you feel this club is important. Email this video to email@example.com by November 30.
Calendar of Events:
Social distancing will be practiced at all of these events-bring your masks.
NOVEMBER:Friday, November 20 Beta Club School Project. You can volunteer to help at EDHS from 9-11 or 12-2. Please email Mrs. Bowles and let her know when you can help.Due Monday, November 30 --
The Beta Club and the HOSA Club will be collecting Peanut Butter and Jelly for the Guardian Ad Litem. We are asking that students and staff help us by bringing in Jars of PB&J to help make a positive difference in the lives of children in need. You can also drop them off by Mrs. Bowles, Mrs. Daniels or Mrs. Kennedy’s classroom.We will be collecting jars of Peanut Butter and Jelly the whole month of November. Two jars will equal 1 service hour.
On Sunday, November 22 Pathway Church in Beulaville needs volunteers at 12 noon with decorating for Christmas. Lunch will be provided. Email Mrs. Bowles if you can help.DECEMBER:Friday December 4 - Meet at Beulaville Baptist Church Family Life Center for an afternoon of making crafts for the Nursing Home and some fun! We will be watching a movie and eating supper too!This is from 4-8pm. You can email Mrs. Bowles with your appropriate movie suggestions :)There will be a TOY Drive taking place this month and the BETA Club usually helps out at Beualville Baptist Church. I will post more information as I recieve it.VIRTUAL STATE BETA CONVENTION INFORMATION:IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING IN AN ACADEMIC OR OTHER VIRTUAL STATE BETA COMPETITION PLEASE EMAIL MRS. BOWLES WHAT COMPETITION BY DEC. 23. I WILL ACCEPT PAYMENT VIA MAIL.KIM BOWLES120 KELSEY LANDING DRIVEBEULAVILLE NC 28518WE HAVE AN ENTRY DEADLINE. YOU MUST PAY $20.00 TO ENTER THE COMPETITION AND PAY YOUR $20.00 EDHS BETA CLUB DUES.YOU CAN FIND A LIST OF THE COMPETITIONS ON THE NATIONAL BETA CLUB WEBSITE. THE LINK IS POSTED ON THIS PAGE.THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE SHOW CHOIR OR GROUP TALENT. IF WE DO SHOW CHOIR OR GROUP TALENT IT WOULD BE PRESENTED AT NATIONALS THIS SUMMER......NOT AT STATE LEVEL (DUE TO COVID) WE WILL DISCUSS GROUP TALENT AND SHOW CHOIR IN JANUARY.