Our goal at James Kenan High School is to maximize students' potential through a comprehensive school counseling program. We address students' academic, personal, social, and career needs. We advocate for our students to ensure a positive high school experience and the obtainment of a high school diploma. Counselors work to collaborate with stakeholders (including legal guardians, school staff, and community members) to foster responsible decision-making, to encourage lifelong learning, and to cultivate respect for individuals and self.
During this COVID-19 crisis, please reach out to any one of the individuals listed at the bottom of our homepage if you need services for you or your family members. We are here to offer whatever support we can to our JK community during this challenging time. All of us check email regularly and will respond to your email promptly.
Please join the Grade Level Remind Groups! We will send out important dates and reminders school-wide, so it's important to stay connected! Remind codes were sent out to your student email accounts and distributed during Packet Pickup. Please contact Mrs. Lee if you need another Remind Code.
- Are you a high school student who is interested in becoming a teacher? ECU College of Education is hosting an iTeach online event on Thursday, October 15 or Wednesday, November 4. For more information:ECU Virtual Visits
- The PSAT will be given on Wednesday, October 14th and Thursday, October 29th. Students will be divided into their STEAMA A & B groups to take the test. The PSAT will be offered to the following students for a charge of $17.00:
Juniors who are four year college bound and interested in the National Merit Scholarship
Sophomores who are AIG in Reading & Math and interested in taking college courses spring semesterFreshmen who are AIG in Reading & Math and interested in taking college courses spring semester
Download English: LAWA EnglishDownload Spanish: LAWA Spanish
- Latino students: Please see the attached flyer concerning free bilingual information sessions for students and caregivers on how to prepare, plan, and pay for postsecondary education. Learn about college applications, financial aid, career paths, bachelor and associate degrees, travel and vocational program options and campus tours.
- JSCC & NCVPS students: Please remember to check your email and log in to your courses daily. This is very important so you will not be dropped by your instructor and get behind.
- Seniors: Please look at the following sheet, which shows colleges with early admission deadlines. If a college shows "rolling admissions" this means they continue to accept students until fall registration and do not have early admission deadlines. Early Admissions Deadlines
- Seniors: CACRAO is proud to present their Virtual College Exploration program, for all North Carolina students, September 14-October 9. The four-week program consists of hundreds of opportunities for students to learn about the college search process and about many different colleges through panel presentations and information sessions. While each academic year presents unique challenges, they know this year will present you with challenges like never before. We hope that this year's virtual events will be an easy and accessible way for students to learn more about the unique college opportunities from CACRAO partners close to home, and around the world. Students have to register for sessions they would like to attend. Please check your email from Mrs. Lee for registration information.
- Seniors: Please see Mrs. Lee if you are using the Common App so she can help you connect it to Xello. This is a new process and you may need help with it. Mrs. Lee is available for appointments for help with the Common App and guidance for your senior year.
- Seniors: Please do not forget to make your 1-1 appointment with Mr. McDaniel, our College Advisor.
- Seniors: The deadline to sign up for all October ACT's is Friday, September 25th. There are four dates in October that you can test. For more information, go to act.org. Please email Mr. McDaniel, our college advisor, if you need help registering or need a fee waiver.
- Seniors: The deadline to sign up for the November SAT is October 7th. To register, go to collegeboard.org. If you made an account last year, you will need to make sure to use that UN & PW. Let us know if you need help. Mr. McDaniel can also help you register and use fee waivers for the SAT.
- Seniors: If you are using The Common App to do your college applications and you are trying to meet early admission deadlines, you need to make an appointment with Mrs. Lee. Please email her at email@example.com to make an appointment.
Standardized Test Update for the Class of 2023In response to the extraordinary challenges during the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on access to SAT and ACT testing, the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics (NCSSM) will waive the standardized test requirement (SAT and/or ACT) for the Class of 2023. For students who choose to submit standardized test score reports, those score reports will not be considered as part of the NCSSM admissions review process, as we strive to ensure equity for all students across the state of North Carolina.If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Admissions, firstname.lastname@example.org.NCSSMOffice of Admissions
- Sophomores: Are you interested in applying to The School of Science and Mathematics (NCSSM) this school year? Please see the following announcement pertaining to test scores:
Requests for Transcripts can be made by clicking the link. Please remember, transcripts are $6.00 for the first copy, then $3.00 for each additional copy. There is a 24-hour turnaround time for all transcript requests.
JKHS Guidance Department
School Office Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Support Staff is available for virtual meetings after school hours. Please email the individuals below to set up virtual conferences/appointments as needed.
Renee McCoy, Counselor 9th - 10th grade/504 Coordinator
Kristen Lee, Counselor 11th - 12th grade/JSCC Coordinator
Lynn Oakes, Guidance Assistant
Kristian McDaniel, College Advisor
Alison Raynor, School Social Worker
Lindsey Reaves, School Nurse
Alicia Baltazar, Data Manager