Our goal at James Kenan High School is to maximize students' potential through a comprehensive school counseling program. We address students' academic, personal, social, and career needs. We advocate for our students to ensure a positive high school experience and the obtainment of a high school diploma. Counselors work to collaborate with stakeholders (including legal guardians, school staff, and community members) to foster responsible decision-making, to encourage lifelong learning, and to cultivate respect for individuals and self.
During this COVID-19 crisis, please reach out to any one of the individuals listed at the bottom of our homepage if you need services for you or your family members. We are here to offer whatever support we can to our JK community during this challenging time. All of us check email regularly and will respond to your email promptly.
Please join the Grade Level Remind Groups! We will send out important dates and reminders school-wide, so it's important to stay connected! Remind codes were sent out to your student email accounts and distributed during Packet Pickup. Please contact Mrs. Lee if you need another Remind Code.
Download English: LAWA EnglishDownload Spanish: LAWA Spanish
- Latino students: Please see the attached flyer concerning free bilingual information sessions for students and caregivers on how to prepare, plan, and pay for postsecondary education. Learn about college applications, financial aid, career paths, bachelor and associate degrees, travel and vocational program options and campus tours.
- JSCC & NCVPS students: Please remember to check your email and log in to your courses daily. This is very important so you will not be dropped by your instructor and get behind.
- Seniors: Please look at the following sheet, which shows colleges with early admission deadlines. If a college shows "rolling admissions" this means they continue to accept students until fall registration and do not have early admission deadlines. Early Admissions Deadlines
- Seniors: Please see Mrs. Lee if you are using the Common App so she can help you connect it to Xello. This is a new process and you may need help with it. Mrs. Lee is available for appointments for help with the Common App and guidance for your senior year.
- Seniors: Please do not forget to make your 1-1 appointment with Mr. McDaniel, our College Advisor.
- Seniors: If you are using The Common App to do your college applications and you are trying to meet early admission deadlines, you need to make an appointment with Mrs. Lee. Please email her at firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment.
Standardized Test Update for the Class of 2023In response to the extraordinary challenges during the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on access to SAT and ACT testing, the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics (NCSSM) will waive the standardized test requirement (SAT and/or ACT) for the Class of 2023. For students who choose to submit standardized test score reports, those score reports will not be considered as part of the NCSSM admissions review process, as we strive to ensure equity for all students across the state of North Carolina.If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Admissions, email@example.com.NCSSMOffice of Admissions
- Sophomores: Are you interested in applying to The School of Science and Mathematics (NCSSM) this school year? Please see the following announcement pertaining to test scores:
Requests for Transcripts can be made by clicking the link. Please remember, transcripts are $6.00 for the first copy, then $3.00 for each additional copy. There is a 24-hour turnaround time for all transcript requests.
JKHS Guidance Department
School Office Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Support Staff is available for virtual meetings after school hours. Please email the individuals below to set up virtual conferences/appointments as needed.
Renee McCoy, Counselor 9th - 10th grade/504 Coordinator
Kristen Lee, Counselor 11th - 12th grade/JSCC Coordinator
Lynn Oakes, Guidance Assistant
Kristian McDaniel, College Advisor
Alison Raynor, School Social Worker
Lindsey Reaves, School Nurse
Alicia Baltazar, Data Manager